How Many Times Should You Advertise?
From 1885 in which London businessman Thomas Smith offered the following advice to advertisers. It is still applicable today:
1. The first time people look at any ad they don’t even see it.
2. The second time, they don’t notice it.
3. The third time, they are aware that it is there.
4. The fourth time, they have a fleeting sense that they’ve seen it somewhere before
5. The fifth time, they actually read the ad.
6. The sixth time, they thumb their nose at it.
7. The seventh time, they start to get a bit irritated by it
8. The eight time the start to think “Here’s that confounded ad again”
9. The ninth time, they start to wonder if they may be missing out on something
10. The tenth time, they ask their friends and neighbours if they’ve tried it.
11. The eleventh time they wonder how the company is paying for all these ads
12. The twelfth time, they start to think that it must be a good product
13. The thirteenth time they start to feel the product has value
14. The fourteenth time they start to remember wanting a product exactly like this for a long time
15. The fifteenth time, they start to yearn for it because they can’t afford to buy it
16. The sixteenth time they accept the fact that they will buy it sometime in the future
17. The seventeenth time they make a note to buy the product
18. The eighteenth time they curse their poverty for not allowing them to buy this terrific product
19. The nineteenth time, they count their money very carefully
20. The twentieth time prospects see the ad, they buy what is offered.
Do systematic advertising and you will be amazed at how much interest you get each month from businesses and individuals who have now decided to ‘give it a try’.